Thursday, January 29, 2009

why craft supplies made me sad

Sigh... I started off pretty well with this whole blog thing, trying to write tidbits here and there. This was supposed to be my journal. Considering how well I've kept a journal in my life, I guess I have been doing pretty well!

As Jeff and I were cleaning out the office yesterday, I was saddened to realize that I have not been the mother I set out to be. I sorted through the paints, beads, feathers and popsicle sticks I bought when Rebecca was little and wondered how many times Andrew and Katie had gotten to craft to their heart's content. Life was easier with one child and fewer obligations. It was certainly easier to attain my ideal of plenty of uninterupted time with the kids AND a clean house. Still, my heart ached a little to think of the time I have wasted with these sweet children. Unused art supplies are only one facet of my regret.

It's not too late for me to be "that kind of a mother" with all of my children. They are young enough that I can turn things around. Here's to a fresh start...