Saturday night as Jeff and I were getting ready to go out for the evening, I asked the kids to straighten their rooms. After asking Andrew for the third time to pick up his toys, I finally told my little buddy that I'd help him clean up by taking the remaining toys away for a few days. He responded with desperate tears and pleas for one more try. I stayed firm and his desperation escalated. Rebecca helped Andrew write a note that said:
Dear Mom,
I just want you to know that Lego that you took was one of my favorite Legos.
Love,
Andrew
(sad face)
I said that I was sorry it was one of his favorite toys but that he had had several opportunities to put it where it belonged. Rebecca asked me to give the following note to Andrew:
Andrew,
I hate to see you so sad. When you are sad it makes me feel sad. Please feel better.
Love,
Rebecca, Katie and Mom
(crying face)
Rebecca and Katie were trying to comfort Andrew when I went to take a shower. When I got out, there was a note on the floor:
Mom,
I am desperite to make Andrew feel better. Please tell me what to do.
With love,
Rebecca
I went to Andrew's room where he looked miserable and his sisters looked concerned. He said he really wanted his toys. I said I knew that he did, and that if he could be a good listener for the next couple of days he'd get them back. I suggested that Rebecca read his Star Wars book with him. My three kids cuddled on the bed and moved on with life.
1 week ago